Actiflo™ is a compact, high-rate clarifier used for the treatment of water and municipal and industrial wastewater. This technology was developed and patented by Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies.
- High treatment efficiency: it eliminates up to > 99% turbidity, suspended solids and associated pollutants.
- Small footprint: up to 50 times smaller than other clarification processes of similar capacity.
- Short hydraulic residence time: rapid start-up and quick treatment optimisation.
- High process stability, also in the event of sudden flow and / or load variations.
- Ideal for automatic and remote operation, including frequent shutdowns and re-starts.
- Easy operation, requires minimum operator attention.
- Minimum equipment maintenance, easy to access.
Raw water is mixed with a coagulant (iron or aluminium salt) and then fed to a Turbomix™ draft tube reactor containing Actisand™ microsand. The microsand serves as a seed for floc formation and also acts as a ballast or weight to aid a rapid settlement.
The sludge and microsand slurry is pumped to a hydrocyclone. Clean microsand is recycled back to the flocculation tank, while the sludge is continuously discharged.
Drinking water applications
Actiflo™ is particularly efficient at removing taste and odour associated with algal bloom. It can also be used for the recovery of backwash water from rapid gravity filters, thus reducing water loss and running costs.
Settling rates: 60-80m/h (25-35gpm/sf).
Actiflo™ can be used for primary settlement, treatment of biofilter backwash water, clarification of trickling filter effluents, stormwater treatment, tertiary polishing or phosphorus removal, and water reuse for crop irrigation or aquifer recharge.
Settling rates: 60-150m/h (25-60gpm/sf).
For industrial water and effluent applications, Actiflo™ is ideal for the recycling of process water and pre-treatment of boiler feed or cooling tower make-up water. It can also be used to remove solids, colour and heavy metals, and can be used for lime soda softening.
Settling rates: 60-200m/h (25-80gpm/sf).