Smart Storm offers consultancy and solutions to deal with the containment and treatment of firewater, spills and flood water.
Businesses are at risk of a ‘water pollution event’ through spills, fires or flooding on their site resulting in environmental harm. Without containment solutions in place, pollutants such as oil, diesel, plastics, chemicals, and highly toxic firewater run-off can escape into the ground, sewers, canals, lakes and waterways, with disastrous consequences for the environment. In addition to the environmental cost, companies must pay to clean-up their pollutants and can also face severe fines, damage to reputation and even imprisonment.
In accordance with the Environmental Protection Act 1991 businesses must proactively prevent the potential of a pollutant escaping their site.
Smart Storm’s Water Pollution Prevention and Containment Divisions help businesses to understand the pollution risks and offers bespoke, cost-effective solutions, tailored to specific needs.
- In-depth site assessments for water pollution risk
- Topographical spill mapping
- Site drainage assessment and maintenance
- Pollution prevention system design
- Product maintenance and servicing
- CIRIA c736 consultancy and support
- Automated water pollution containment devices
- Portablewater pollution containment devices
- Environmental monitors and sensors
- Real time monitoring and reporting
In 2011, Smart Storm’s Water Containment Specialist designed and built the first ever fully integrated firewater retention solution, able to contain 2 million litres of fire water for a Top Tier CoMAH site. This system can entirely lock the site down preventing any offsite pollution; a system that can retain firewater can also retain smaller spills or incidents. This work formed part of the CIRIA c736 Containment Systems for the Prevention of Pollution guidance and features as a best practice example.